Fast Eddie


The Hand Game

Submitted by B.E. Scully

Woods just outside of good ol’ Sunbury, PA

One of the painfully enjoyable delights of my childhood was “The Hand Game.” My dad and I would stand facing each other, sometimes with my hands on the bottom facing up and his on top facing down, sometimes the other way around. Without so much as a fair-warning “Go,” the person whose hands were on top would flip them over and attempt to smack the hands of the person on the bottom. If you were on the bottom, you had to be fast enough to pull your hands out of the way to avoid a double hands-smack down.

Dad was almost always fast enough to avoid getting a smack, and I was almost always too slow to avoid not getting one. And dad, being the former hard-as-nails Green Beret that he was, wasn’t about to throw the game just to let me win. If I wanted a genuine hand-slap on Dad, I had to earn it.

Dad was so tough and stubborn, in fact, that he was sure that after he died he’d be able to come back in the afterlife for one last stand.

“Send me some kind of sign,” I’d always tell him, as eager to impress him with my courage as to actually get a sign from the after-life.

Then right out of nowhere one day a massive heart attack came and took Dad to the other side—just the way he’d always wanted to go, fast and fuss-free, if a little sooner than any of us expected.

When I came back to the old house to help Mom with the arrangements, I was up at the burn barrel getting rid of some old papers and documents when I decided to test Dad’s mettle. It was a deep winter day in Pennsylvania, which meant that it was pitch black by six o’clock at night. The shadows from the forest that surrounded me on all sides crept closer to the leaping fire.

I stared into the forest that Dad had loved so much and spent so much time in and suddenly I said, “O.K., Dad, give me a sign! I’m ready! You always said you’d give me a sign, and here I am waiting for it!”

And instantly from out of the forest darkness came the sound of steady, crashing human footsteps—not a leaping deer, not a scurrying raccoon or a wandering cat, but the unmistakable tread of human feet. Or at least, once human feet.

I stood there as long as I could as the footsteps drew closer. Then I threw down the fire place poker clutched in my trembling hands and ran as fast as I could back to the lit safety of the house.

After I had calmed down and armed myself with a flashlight, I went back up to the burn barrel and called out for Dad, but he was nowhere to be found. Just like he always had in life, Dad had done exactly what he said he would—he’d given me the sign, and was probably right now having one hell of a laugh in the afterlife at the sight of me high-tailing it away in blind terror.

Dad had come back to win The Hand Game one last time.

Fast Eddie

Submitted by Bill G.

Philadelphia, 1980

My friend Bill just told me this story while I’m sitting in Barnes and Nobles in North Wales, Pennsylvania. It’s Halloween. Bill’s not the kind of guy to believe in ghosts, though the paranormal fascinates him. He has a logical mind, yet as he listened to the first episode of the show, he began to remember a moment when the otherworld reached out to him. 

It happens that way. We dismiss these moments and events until we are reminded. Perhaps that is an evolutionary trait we’ve been programmed with to ignore the otherworld, or maybe we’re too busy looking at our televisions and phones to really see it.

Bill had this friend in Philly, Ed. “Ed was a trip.” Ed was the youngest police officer, a good guy and ‘showed no fear’. He lived near Bill in Olney—a rough neighborhood in Philly—and at night Bill would hear the engine of his 1976 revving up behind his house, inviting Bill to hit the city night with him. Ed loved danger, following other cops around while listening to his police scanner. “He was something.”

Ed just got wilder and wilder. He carried a Colt 357 Magnum—“a powerful powerful handgun”—with him at night for protection, though he didn’t always out of fear of being caught with it, since he was a Philly cop. “I wish he had always carried that thing,” Bill said. “It would have saved his life.”

Ed kept his sexuality a secret, which was quite common in the late 70s, especially if you were planning to become a city cop, and he started indulging in the darker side of the gay club scene, getting lost in a seedy and dangerous night life. At this point, Bill wanted no more of their midnight adventures. One morning, they found Ed’s body in a creek. His Torino was burned out. From all reports, his death was not an easy one. A group tried to rob him after picking him up at a bar.

“Perhaps I was just in the mindset of his murder,” Bill said. “But for several nights after his death, I’d hear his engine revving in the back of the house, asking me to come out with him. Not tonight, Eddie, I’d say. This was just residual.” Eventually, the phantom car engine silenced after they put him to rest.

“Later on, my mother’s presence didn’t frighten me, but the thought of Ed’s Torino waiting for me out back did. I wasn’t going to fall for it and go out there, though I would have liked to see him again.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s